Best of the Day 12 August 2012 Olympic

Great Britain's gold rush continued on Saturday as the host nation claimed another three gold medals, while Usain Bolt anchored the Jamaican sprint relay team to a gold medal and a new world record. Here's our pick of day 15 in London

Continue reading...
Mo Farah completed the Olympic distance double as he added the 5,000m gold to his 1,0000m crown on Saturday night.

Seven days after claiming Britain's third gold in the space of 45 minutes on 'Super Saturday' in the longer distance, Farah produced another brilliant performance to send the Olympic Stadium into wild scenes of celebration once again.

Roared on by a capacity 80,000-strong crowd, the 29-year-old Londoner hit the front with 700m remaining and was never headed, covering the last lap in under 53 seconds to hold off Ethiopia's Dejen Gebremeskel to win in 13 minutes and 41.66 seconds. Thomas Longosiwa of Kenya claimed bronze.

Just five men in Olympic history had previously taken the 5,000m and 10,000m titles at the same Games - Emil Zatopek of the old Czechoslovakia in 1952, Vladimir Kuts of the USSR in 1956, Finland's Lasse Viren in 1972 and 1976, Miruts Yifter of Ethiopia in 1980 and Kenenisa Bekele, also of Ethiopia, at Beijing four years ago.

Farah's victory also meant Britain have won four track and field golds for only the third time since the Second World War, matching the haul from Tokyo in 1964 and Moscow in 1980.

Farah said: "It's just unbelievable. "The American guy (Galen Rupp) tried to come past me, but I knew I just had to hold on to it. I had great support from the crowd. It means a lot to me."

He was watched by wife Tania, pregnant with twins due imminently, and daughter Rihanna.

"Those two medals are to my two girls that are coming. They're not born yet hopefully," Farah said. "They're twins so there's one for each. They could arrive any day."

Cool Hand Luke

Luke Campbell realised his lifetime dream as he floored Ireland's John Joe Nevin on his way to a 14-11 victory and the Olympic bantamweight title at ExCeL.

Campbell landed a superb left hand counter in the final round to knock down his opponent, who had beaten him in 2009 before the Hull man gained revenge with a close win in last year's World Championship semi-finals.

Campbell was in tears as the verdict was announced and he accepted the congratulations of his cornermen, saying: "I'm very emotional right now. The plan was to stay calm and stick to the boxing and throw my punches down the middle.

"It's something I've worked for all my life and I can't believe it's here."

He dismissed the suggestion knowing Nevin so well was to his advantage. He added: "You can look at it both ways. He knows me really well as well. So we both knew each other.

"He's a top, top fighter, a very tough fighter. It was a very difficult fight, very technical.

"He's a very strong fighter, strong at punching so I had to be aware of that. I had to be on my game to win and tonight I was on my game. I can't believe it, I appreciate all the support here and back home in Hull."

Gold in whitewater

Ed McKeever won gold for Great Britain in the 200m kayak sprint at Eton Dorney on Saturday morning.

The 28-year-old from Wiltshire went into the final as one of the favourites after clocking fast times in the heats and semi-finals.

And he burst away from the gun to take an early lead which he held throughout, powering over the line ahead of Spaniard Saul Craviotto Rivero and Canadian Mark de Jonge.

"I was really just focused on the first two or three strokes and I wanted to nail those and get out cleanly," he said.

"Just relief. It sounds strange. Not elation, more relief and so happy I could do it in front of the home crowd - it's brilliant.

"I am just so pleased that I could do well. I was really buzzing, in the zone and wanting to do well.

"I haven't made any long term plans yet. It could still go either way. I could have a career ahead of me but I am just waiting to see how I feel after this."

Daley delight at last

Tom Daley upset the odds to claim bronze in a controversial and dramatic men's 10-metre platform final which was won by David Boudia of the USA.

The 18-year-old led by 0.15 points from world champion Qiu Bo and Boudia heading into the final dive.

But while Daley won a single score of 10 for his final back dive, it was lower on difficulty than his rivals to allow Boudia to steal a shock victory.

The upset left Qiu in tears on the poolside while Boudia and Daley both celebrated by jumping into the pool.

For Daley it meant the capture of the last major honour to have eluded him in his decorated young career so far - but only after he was controversially awarded a re-dive on his opening effort.

The Plymouth diver was allowed to re-take his leap after complaining that he was distracted by the camera flashes from his 17,500-strong home support inside the Aquatics Centre.

He then improved his total by 16.2 points but it did not prove decisive in the final outcome as his score of 556.95 was 29.15 points clear of Russia's Victor Minibaev.

Golden treble

Usain Bolt won his third sprint gold medal of the Games as he anchored the Jamaican relay team to victory.

Jamaica set a new world record of 36.84 seconds in winning Olympic gold in the 4x100 metres relay.

The sprint superstar made it a hat-trick of Olympic titles for the second successive Games as he led his team-mates home in a time of 36.85 seconds.

Nesta Carter, Michael Frater and then double silver medallist Yohan Blake gave Bolt the lead he scarcely needed to hold off the United States in second and Trinidad & Tobago in third.

0 comments:

Post a Comment